Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Grey's Anatomy

Grey's Anatomy. That is all.

No, that's actually not all. I'm only kidding. I'm sure you all have heard about the popular medical drama Grey's Anatomy. They just finished their 10th season, which in itself I think is pretty fantastic. Let me just tell you, I am obsessed with this show.

Yes, a lot of the things that go on may be petty and unnecessary, but there is one thing about the show that really draws me in - the characters.

One thing that the writer of this hit drama Shonda Rhimes does very well is present the audience with dynamic characters to get to know and grow close to. Some characters you may love and some characters you may hate, but one thing can be said about every single character. They are all relatable; filled to the brim with raw human emotion and instinct.

This show is always guaranteed to make you feel something, and I think that is very important in any piece of work, whether it be art, music, TV, film, or literature. Art must illicit emotion in order for it to be impactful, and Grey's Anatomy is just that - impactful.

Like I said before, some of it is petty, and I have indeed found myself sitting there eagerly waiting for an end of an episode due to its lacking plot, but the characters are what really draw me to this incredibly thought provoking show.

The way some of the characters are presented really makes you think about your own emotions and really makes you turn inward and evaluate how you're living your own life.

That may sound a little dramatic, but I can say from first-hand experience that I have found that the personalities and life situations of the doctors on Grey's Anatomy have reflected my own life and situation on more than one occasion.
_________________________________________________________________________________

On a completely unrelated note, another thing that the show's writers and creators have done in the past couple of seasons that I have really enjoyed is their choice of music.

They have used a lot of alternative artists and singer/songwriters, which I really like. It adds a nice flair to the dramatic story lines. In the most recent season, they also took to using covers of 80's and 90's songs that are acoustic and kicked down a notch, and I think that was a brilliant move on their part. Just like with the singer/songwriters and alternative artist's music, the covers really add that needed jolt to the show, and it does am effective job of offsetting the usually painfully dramatic plot.

I have put some of the links to my favorite covers and songs from the past few seasons below:

Where Does The Good Go // Tegan And Sarah
Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic // Sleeping At Last
Total Eclipse Of The Heart // Sleeping At Last
99 Red Balloons // Sleeping At Last
Tainted Love // Claire Gueresso
Fame // Mree
I'm So Excited // Le Tigre
_________________________________________________________________________________

Thank you all for reading, happy watching, and happy listening!

~KMS




No comments:

Post a Comment